The following is a guest post. If you want your article published on this blog please email your article.
The process of getting the ECFMG certificate can be a bit confusing and there is no clear instructions to get it unless you call the organization up for instructions, and I did just that.
It's the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates, and it's the body that oversees the validation for international medical graduates for residency.
What is the ECFMG Certificate?
It's just a document that says you have fulfilled the criteria by the ECFMG and you are clear to start residency and you can take the USMLE Step 3. Keep in mind, you need the permission of the State, that you reside in to take the USMLE Step 3; however, the criteria for each state varies.
Also, getting the certificate actually boosts your opportunity to get into residency. Therefore, the faster you get the certificate, the better.
What is the process to get the certificate?
- First you have to register for the ECFMG. When you register to take the USMLE tests, and you are an IMG, then you are already registered for ECFMG.
- Pass USMLE Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS.
- Graduate from your medical school.
- Get your diploma and make two photo copies of it.
- Get two passport size color photos; they have to be within the latest 6 months.
- Get two copies of form 345-I (as of January 2015), and tape or glue your photo to the form. The form has a certain place where you will have to put your picture on.
- Mail it by FedEx or UPS to:
3624 Market Street, 4th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19104-2685
- Wait till ECFMG gets your paper. And then have your school verify your credentials if they use ECFMG portal.
- ECFMG will mail your certificate.